8 Best Cheap Unmanaged VPS Hosting Providers 2023
VPS hosting usually costs higher when you optin for a managed plan, whereas you can save a lot of money on unmanaged services. Luckily, there are many trusted and well-organized cheap unmanaged VPS hosting services offering complete server control, handy features, and stable products at affordable prices.
Going with a managed VPS hosting saves a lot of management time, server headaches, and dealing with system errors but at the cost of some extra bucks. While unmanaged VPS hosting saves you some dollars, but you’ll have to deal with all the hurdles you might face – and you will definitely face.
That said, as an end-user, you must have a high level of technical knowledge to take maximum benefits out of your unmanaged server or choose the managed service. As you are already on the page of cheap unmanaged VPS hosts, it means you are familiar with both options.
Top Picks for Cheap Unmanaged VPS Hosts
Kamatera – Starting at $4/month – Choose for ultimate scalability, 99.99% uptime, SSD storage, and the fastest CPUs on the planet at low prices with $100 free credits
A2Hosting – Starting at $4.99/month – It offers many cache mechanisms, 20X speeds, and turbo boost feature
InterServer – Starting at $6/month – Cheapest Unmanaged VPS (2GB RAM) with great features and uptime
Managed vs Unmanaged VPS Hosting – What’s the Difference?
There are a few differences between a managed and unmanaged VPS server that are followings:
Customer Support: Usually, unmanaged VPS hosting comes with limited customer support for rectifying your server’s technical aspects. As the name shows unmanaged, you will have to maintain each and everything, such as software updates, security patches, errors, and related stuff of your VPS on your own. As an end-user, you should have technical knowledge of web hosting management.
Pricing: Another biggest difference between these two options is the overall pricing of the service. A managed virtual private server costs higher compared to unmanaged servers. When you purchase a managed plan, your VPS will be maintained by the company. They will handle all the technical aspects of it like security, performance, software, and updates.
On the other hand, a self-managed VPS costs way lower, saving you money significantly.
More Flexibility: Usually, unmanaged VPS hosting allows full control over your instance than a managed server. You get complete control of the virtual instance, optimize and tweak it according to your needs, and hence can get ultimate processing power. Furthermore, you can also install tools and scripts (open-source and 3rd party applications) that are not pre-configured by the provider. On the other hand, a managed VM concedes less control.
Add-Ons: Unmanaged services lack performance enhancements add-ons such as CDN, network monitoring, load balancers, and backups, etc. In comparison, your managed plan comes with almost all these features to ensure a peace of mind experience. The network monitor feature keeps an eye on the servers in real-time regarding uptime, system errors, and connectivity issues.
8 Cheap Unmanaged VPS Hosting Providers (2023)
1. Kamatera – Best Unmanaged VPS with SSDs
Having 18 data centers around the four continents for being available to its users, Kamatera is known for being the fastest cloud service provider focusing mainly on VPS hosting. One of the company’s primary services is to allow users to create their customized server, starting with a small one and scaling up as they grow.
You can easily customize and tailor the VPS services according to your needs and demands, and you are free to choose to either get charged hourly or monthly, whatever suits you the best. The scalability feature of the provider is very impressive since there are various options available to you, including upgrading your storage, CPU, and RAM.
You get to choose around 104 vCPUs and 512 GB of RAM per server so that you can quickly start small and scale up whenever you want with a single click of your mouse. Using this service, 99.95% of up-time is absolutely guaranteed, and the reliability is unmatched because of high-end data centers and no single point of failure.
The cheapest self-managed VPS hosting package costs $4 per month for 1 GB of RAM, 20 GB SSD storage, 1 CPU, and 1 TB bandwidth. You can either configure a custom server or choose from different pre-configured plans.
Here are some fantastic features that Kamatera has to offer as a VPS server:
- Kamatera matches the server capacity by decreasing or increasing the power demand in just minutes.
- Offers the fastest networking speed of around unlimited 40Gbit/second per server.
- Compared to the previous generations, Kamatera can run a server with up to 300% more power per CPU using the latest processors.
- Allows running any edition of Linux or Windows operating systems with the availability of 100+ OS images, depending on the user’s demands.
- The scalability is unmatched since they offer to scale out to hundreds of servers within seconds.
- Give complete control of scaling up, scaling down, or even adding new components like stopping and restarting servers, adding a database of user’s choice, assigning roles to users, etc.
- High reliability and availability compared to competitors.
- Every component has a parallel backup device in case of failure.
- Kamatera offers virtual servers through 18 global data centers.
- The total cost of ownership is relatively low.
- Customization of packages to meet your demands and budget.
- Releases you from the worry of managing and maintaining computer hardware.
- You can sign up for a 30-day free trial.
- Costs are pretty high when billed hourly.
- Backups and firewalls are available at a fee.
2. A2Hosting – Runner-Up Cheap Unmanaged VPS for 20x Speeds
If you want to experience most of the benefits of a VPS server without paying the cost for each feature or benefit individually, A2hosting is your go-to option. Giving you the advantage of enjoying almost twenty times faster speed along with a 99.99% up-time, A2hosting will provide you with everything that you look for in a VPS server.
The unmanaged VPS hosting by A2 has four packages, including Runway1, Runway2, Runway4, and Supersonic 8, starting from $4.99, $7.99, $9.99, and $34.99 per month, respectively.
In all four packages, you get to enjoy a 10 Gb/s redundant network, a money-back guarantee in case of dissatisfaction, 99.9% up-time commitment, Reinforced DDoS protection, root access, and a free Webuzo one-click software installer. The number of files, emails, and folders that you can store on all four packages is around 2,000,000.
Additionally, the FutureServe Green Hosting feature by A2Hosting is absolutely unique in terms of serving Mother Earth because they are 100% carbon neutral, and they work on the creation of clean and renewable energy on a worldwide scale.
When you are comfortable handling your own server customization along with maintenance and management, unmanaged VPS hosting is what you should opt for, and A2hosting offers you that at the best possible prices. Even if your server rarely fails, they provide customer support 24/7 to tackle your queries and needs.
A few of the unmatched features of A2’s cheap unmanaged VPS hosting are:
- Allows enjoying managed hardware and network even when subscribing to an unmanaged VPS hosting plan.
- Availability of choice of operating systems to choose the best from.
- Offers easy and simple changing or reloading operating system on demand.
- SSH access is available in all four plans of unmanaged VPS hosting.
- cPanel License to make it easy for the user to manage emails, databases, domains, software, etc.
- 40% faster CPU performance.
- Three times faster read and write speed.
- The unmanaged VPS hosting is low in cost.
- Provides complete access to cPanel.
- Flexibility when it comes to plugins.
- Installing software versions is also flexible.
- Configurations are done by you in unmanaged VPS hosting; therefore, support is limited from the A2 team.
- It requires a high level of technical knowledge.
- Instability and human error are possible.
3. InterServer – Cheap Unmanaged VPS Cloud Hosting
InterServer is one of the best cloud VPS providers that allow you to deploy your online projects flexibly and successfully. If you are looking for one of the most affordable VPS plans that provide excellent features at such a price, then InterServer is definitely your go-to option.
You get three types of VPS services using InterServer, including Linux VPS, Storage VPS, and Windows VPS. All three of these VPS come with sixteen different plans individually that offer a different number of CPU cores, memory, storage, and transfer, from which you can select the one that suits your demands and requirements the best. Additionally, you get to have the latest version of Windows available such as Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2019.
The sixteen plans/slices of InterServer VPS hosting start by offering one core, 2 GB memory, 30 GB SSD, and 2 TB transfer at just $6/month and go up to 16 cores, 32 GB memory, 480 GB SSD, 32 TB transfer at $96/month. The reasons that may force you to switch to InterServer Cloud VPS hosting are the excellent stability and high-end security that this VPS server has to offer.
The stability of InterServer is so great that no amount of activities or site traffic will affect your site’s performance in any way. Along with that, the High-end security will not let you face any issues regarding security since it will help avoid any kind of hacking or malware attacks in the best way possible.
Additionally, a feature that makes InterServer stand out among competitors is that it can easily support multiple databases with quick installations and deploy a MySQL VPS server in minutes. This is quite useful in order to make your remote connections secure and, as a result, retrieve and store your organization’s data. Bonus, any time you need to add more slices to your InterServer package, you are allowed to do that without any difficulty.
Some amazing features that InterServer as a VPS server offers are:
- You are allowed to choose and customize the resources on the VPS cloud.
- InterServer, as a VPS hosting service, is highly established and regarded for its best security practices.
- With InterServer’s VPS hosting, you can enjoy 99.9% uptime without any delay to your site’s performance.
- Remote backup service to keep your data secure and stored any time you need.
- There are tons of scripts for developers to let them enjoy management of their e-commerce sites, blogs, image galleries, etc.
- Simple upgrading or downgrading of slices as per need.
- Bandwidth is excellent, even for the starting plans.
- The user is allowed to run several websites.
- The presence of SSD makes the server perform fast.
- Users can easily restart the Operating System any time they want to.
- The reinstalling of the Operating System may cost data loss.
- There is no option for pay-per-hour billing like other VPS hosting services.
4. Vultr – Cheapest Unmanaged VPS on Clouds
What makes Vultr stand out is its homepage which is exceptionally easy to understand and very clear. Using Vultr, you can quickly deploy storage, cloud servers, and bare metal all over the world.
The one-click deploy feature of this service eases out everything for you since just when you click deploy, the cloud infrastructure of the company takes over, and within sixty seconds maximum, it spins up your instance in your desired data center. You get to enjoy blazing and lightning-fast write and read speeds on NVMe SSD hardware using Vultr.
The control panel of Vultr is so easy to use that you get to go from prototype to production within seconds. This is because the easy-to-use control panel and API allow you to spend more time coding and less time looking after your infrastructure.
Additionally, using Vultr, you can easily manage the server and perform everyday tasks like managing backups, ordering servers, and adjusting access control. All of these tasks are just a few clicks away.
While deploying your instance with Vultr, you get to enjoy infinite possibilities like choosing from various preinstalled applications or systems that you need to start your website successfully within seconds. Also, the uptime of Vultr is 100%, and the security is exceptionally reliable.
There is absolutely no need for long-term contracts for Vultr VPS hosting since you will only need to pay for what you use and scale up or scale down whenever needed on your demand.
Here are some of the exceptional features that Vultr VPS hosting has to offer:
- Upgrading VPS to the next level in just a few clicks.
- Insights and resources quickly drive the business forward.
- Enhance the capabilities of cloud servers as you demand.
- Automatic backups for mission-critical systems.
- High-performance intel vCPUs.
- Infinite OS combinations.
- 24/7/365 technical support.
- Easy-to-use control panel and API.
- Allows automation of every action into systems.
- One-click deployment within 60 seconds.
- Provides high-performance SSD cloud servers having a worldwide footprint.
- Have flexible options for small-scale users available at a meager price.
- The outstanding speed where the initial process takes only minutes.
- Asks paying for features that you use only.
- Spontaneous, user-friendly, and easy-to-use interface.
- Vultr doesn’t provide managed solutions that make you handle your server yourself.
- It doesn’t offer phone support or live chat.
- The information about security they provide is vague and scattered.
HostWinds offers you unmanaged and fully managed Linux VPS hosting services with amazing features that may make you double-minded on which one to go for. You get them all increased with increasing prices in ten different packages for unmanaged and managed VPS hosting from CPU, RAM to storage, and bandwidth.
One feature that makes HostWinds stand out is the Snapshot feature, which gives you a complete and real-time backup of your Linux VPS. This feature will allow you to recover your Linux server anytime whenever you face a critical failure. You can also use these snapshots as the templates of new servers, making deploying super easy.
With the unmanaged Linux VPS, you have total control over your server configurations and full root access to your account. However, it doesn’t come with any kind of technical administrative or management support from the HostWinds team.
The cheapest unmanaged VPS Linux hosting has ten different packages starting from 4.99 USD per month that gives 1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 30 GB storage, and 1 TB bandwidth to reaching 328.99 USD per month, including 16 CPUs, 96 GB RAM, 750 GB storage and 9 TB of bandwidth.
All the packages in between have different numbers of CPU, GBs of Ram, storage, and bandwidth to give you various options to select from. These plans include some specific features like 99.999% uptime, 1 Gbps ports, snapshots, SSDs, free website transfer, custom ISOs, etc.
For The managed Linux VPS, you get to have all the essential dedicated resources like RAM, CPU cores, and Disk space that are exclusively reserved for you. The plans for the managed Linux VPS hosting start from 1 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 30 GB storage, and 1 TB bandwidth available at 8.24 USD per month and go up to 16 CPU, 96 GB RAM, 750 GB storage, and 9 TB bandwidth available at 395.24 USD per month.
You can select any of the plans depending on your demands and requirements. All the plans of managed Linux VPS include amazing features like 99.999% uptime, guaranteed friendliness, SSDs, multiple locations, free website transfer, etc.
Here are some additional features that the unmanaged and managed Linux VPS hosting services offer:
- The unmanaged and managed hosting offer instant scalability and allows you to upgrade to the next plan in seconds.
- The team offers a real-time monitoring service even in both VPS hosting plans and opens a support ticket in case of a technical failure.
- Nightly backups are a part of unmanaged and managed VPS hosting to provide an easy way to ensure that server’s data is backed up.
- With managed hosting, you get to have the greatest and the latest hardware to enjoy the best experience possible.
- Managed hosting offers an infrastructure that provides excellent speed and reliability for your VPS server.
- There is no single point of failure, and your managed VPS will always be available whenever needed.
- The VPS and reseller plans are excellent.
- Comes with a wide range of payment options.
- One of the rare hosts that provide Windows and Linux and managed or unmanaged hosting.
- Support is available 24/7.
- SSDs are available on almost all of the plans.
- The Windows server option is not available on every plan.
- Money-back guarantee is only applicable for specific plans.
- You will need to pay extra for SSL certificates which the majority of the hosting sites provide for free.
6. Time4VPS – Cheap Unmanaged VPS Hosting for KVM Servers
Looking for a self-managed KVM Linux VPS with features that will drop your jaws like no other, Time4VPS has them in store for you. You get it all, from KVM-based virtualization to powerful hardware using this amazing VPS hosting service. Using this service, not only will you get the best of VPS hosting features, but you will also get to have excellent support throughout your journey.
No matter at what time you get stuck with something, the trained engineers in Time4VPS will be there to sort out everything for you without having you do anything. Although the Linux VPS hosting by Time4VPS is quite affordable in price, security is still taken into consideration while designing all the plans. Only enterprise-class hardware and server have been used to guarantee that your data and the VPS server are completely safe with Time4VPS.
Also, the Linux kernels are absolutely customizable, which means whenever you need to remove or add anything from the kernel, you can easily do that without wasting your precious time and money. Time4VPS team realizes that managing a VPS server on your own can be a real tough job, and therefore they offer assistance and guidance anytime you need throughout using this service in the beginning so that you can easily set up your dream server on their VPS hosting services.
Also, if you need any additional help, in the long run, you can easily go to their help desk and submit a ticket there to get your query answered or, best of all, o for live chat support to clear all your confusion.
Their services are amazingly fast, simple, and reliable, and once you place the order with them, you can easily start using your own Linux VPS server in less than five minutes. This is because by using this service, you will not need to put in any more additional work as all of the necessary proceedings are handled by themselves.
Some unmatched features that Time4VPS has to offer include:
- Allows running isolated or multiple virtual environments without any difficulty.
- You can select a plan that strictly meets your demands and requirements.
- Uninterrupted and relentless services.
- Users can order different Linux and Windows plans.
- Direct access to Plesk, cPanel, and DirectAdmin license.
- There is no need to commit for a long-term period as you can choose a plan that suits your needs and time the best.
- You get full root access and get total control over customizing the system, installing applications, going for add-ons, gaming, using it for personal projects, etc.
- Using the Time4Lapse VPS server, you can have a free trial to check if everything suits your demands the best.
- There is a team to support you available 24/7.
- The prices are quite less compared to the competitors.
- High-end security to keep data safe.
- The billing is quite flexible, and you can easily go for short-term commitments with this VPS server.
- HDD is added by default, while the addition of SSD asks for more cost.
Secure, simple, and customizable is all you look for in a VPS server, and DigitalOcean has to offer all of that under one roof. Working on a simple and affordable cloud is what business owners look for, and this is exactly what this platform has come up with to let your business grow without any hassle or trouble.
Available at affordable and predictable prices, this hosting service comes with robust documentation and excellent scalability to help you grow at any time of any day required. DigitalOcean has 14 globally distributed data centers along with providing 9999% uptime for storage and droplets, which definitely makes it stand out among competitors.
Using this platform, you get to enjoy many features and are allowed to do a lot more with less complexity just because the API, UI, and CLI are very simple to use. Additionally, you can easily spend much more time on your business since looking after the infrastructure is the company’s responsibility completely.
Selecting the right web hosting has never been an easy choice. Still, DigitalOcean has made its name in the industry because of the features it has to provide at such an affordable price, along with its reliable infrastructure, ease of use, robust nature, etc.
What makes this VPS server stands out is the fact that it offers you to build a server in less than one minute, and this is because of the simplicity it has to offer. With the wide array of plans, this company offers excellent flexibility so that users can pick the best for themselves without any difficulty.
When it comes to unmanaged VPS hosting of DigitalOcean, you will not need to compete with others in terms of space and resources as the hosting is handed over to you completely for your website.
DigitalOcean has to offer some excellent features to its users, which are given below:
- It gives access to all the Kubernetes components for free.
- You will only need to pay for the resources that you use on this platform.
- There are load balancers that, when enabled, work efficiently to spread out your website’s traffic.
- With the one-click app feature of this platform, you get to save a lot of your time.
- Deployment is super quick.
- Excellent features are available at affordable prices.
- Tutorials and documentation are amazing.
- Reliability and server quality are top-notch.
- It is a complete cloud engine including Kubernetes, virtual machine, storage, database, etc.
- The setup of the server takes a bit of time.
- It can be a little hard for beginners to understand.
- There is no live support available for the users.
If you are a small or medium business owner who doesn’t have much knowledge about VPS hosting plans and want to start with a small plan, the VPSServer is the best decision you will make since you can easily opt for a small plan and scale or upgrade it anytime you want to.
Having almost 15+ VPS hosting services across the globe, you can have access to several amazing features using this service. It offers three packages named Standard package, CPU optimized package, and Memory Optimized package, which come with different values of memory, Processor, disk, and the price at different prices to give you the option of choosing the best one for you.
The standard packages have plenty of power and are the best to provide average VPS. The prices for the standard package start from $3.99 with 1 GB memory, one core processor, 20 GB disk, and 500 GB transfer and increase to $719.99 per month for 192 GB memory, 32 cores, 2000 GB disk, and 25 TB transfer.
The CPU-optimized packages are excellent for servers in requirement of extra CPU power. Its prices start from $5.99 with 1 GB memory, 2 core processors, 20 GB disk, and 500 GB transfer and increase to $1099.99 per month for 192 GB memory, 48 core processors, 2000 GB disk, and 25 TB transfer.
Finally, the memory-optimized packages are excellent for applications that require more memory, and the prices start from 5.99 USD with 2 GB memory, one core processor, 20 GB disk, and 0.50 TB transfer and go up to 1099.99 USD with 384 GB memory, 32 core processors, 2000 GB disk and 25 TB transfer.
Here are some excellent features that VPSServer has to offer:
- It uses 3-way storage to store the VPS.
- Offers top-of-the-class switches and servers.
- All of the plans include Linux and Windows templates from their templates library.
- Servers are powered by the latest server technology like E5 processors that are fast and reliable.
- Allows connection of active VPS in the same network at any time.
- Automatically detects incoming and outgoing DDoS attacks.
- Customer support is great.
- Use of reliable hardware and software equipment.
- Multiple server locations are available globally.
- It offers only VPS hosting.
- Customer support channels are limited.
- Prices are a bit high.
We recommend the following best unmanaged VPS hosts for under-budget and affordable services:
- Kamatera – Starting at $4/month – It allows ultimate scalability and the fastest CPUs on the planet at low prices
- InterServer – Starting at $6/month – It allows more freedom with dozens of features
- A2Hosting – Starting at $4.99/month – It offers many cache mechanisms, 20X speeds, and turbo boost feature
Pick the right cheap unmanaged VPS hosting providers that fit your requirements and offer all crucial features to operate your projects, applications, or websites seamlessly.